Anthony M. Hopkins, Who Fought in Vietnam and the Gulf, Dies at 70

He graduated in 1967 from Charles H. Darden High School and went to work picking cotton and tobacco. At the encouragement of an older brother, Jason Jr., who had been drafted, Anthony joined the service in February 1970.

“He felt the Army saved his life, in a sense,” Michelle Hopkins said. “That was his way out.”

Sergeant Hopkins fought in Vietnam as part of the 2nd Battalion of the 34th Armor Regiment, his stint ending in 1971. From 1972 to 1976 he was stationed in South Korea at Camp Casey, near the Demilitarized Zone.

While shopping at a clothing store in Seoul one day, Sergeant Hopkins was captivated by an employee named Yong Suk Kim. After a year of stopping by the store, sometimes with flowers, he persuaded her to join him for lunch. They married in 1976 and had their first child in Seoul; four more followed.

Sergeant Hopkins and his family spent 10 years stationed in Gelnhausen, Germany, where in 1984 he was promoted to first sergeant.

On Christmas Eve 1990, he was sent to the Gulf as part of the American-led response to Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait. Several months later, he was in the lead battalion that moved into Iraq as part of Operation Desert Storm, the campaign to oust Iraq from Kuwait, fighting with the 400-member Headquarters Company of the 4th Battalion of the 8th Cavalry. His immediate commander, Kevin Wright, then a captain, had served alongside him in Germany.

Mr. Wright, now a retired lieutenant colonel, described Sergeant Hopkins in an interview as the company’s “linchpin” in overseeing ammunition and fuel and looking after “the welfare of all these young soldiers moving in the darkness of the desert.”

Sergeant Hopkins finished his military career at Fort Knox, Ky., honorably discharged in 1994. He spent the next 18 years as a Postal Service mail handler and lived in Radcliff, Ky., about 40 miles south of Louisville.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *